Learning is more than flashcards and work sheets. Children learn best when they use their whole body, including all their senses. What better way to introduce learning to your toddler or preschooler than with Sensory Tubs. Sensory Tubs are, a tub (Bucket, storage container) filled with a variety of materials, often themed, that children can explore using their hands, tools and imaginations.
1. Start with a container. I like to use a container that has a lid so that at the end of play I can put it away safely from babies or prying fingers! Be sure to choose a container that is deep enough for digging in!
2. Choose a theme! This is optional but a fun way to introduce sensory tubs. A theme could be something as simple as a colour or dinosaurs, cars, garden, cooking, a season or celebration.
3. Choose a base material. The base material takes up the most space in the tub. Think of materials with unusual textures our favourites are…..
4. Add creative play items. Use items of differing size, shape, colour and texture. Search through your toy room, kitchen cupboards, craft supplies!
5. Add some tools! Shovels, Buckets, strainers, chopsticks, spoons, funnels, tubes, pipes anything that the base material can go in, under, through!!!
For an amazing variety of ideas, google, sensory tubs or search away on Pinterest!
Get Creative and Happy Playing!!!!