It feels like I am always on the hunt for something! This weekend I was swooping on some clever Bento lunch ideas. Boy did I find a treasure trove of ideas! Amongst them was a guide as to what consists of a healthy lunch.
- Insert soap box here! – If you don’t want to read my rant feel free to turn away now!
As a teacher I have directly been involved in the consequences of a child not eating a healthy lunch (or breakfast). They can become hyperactive on a sugar high only to crash and be irritable, tired and struggling to concentrate. But it’s not just about sugar. It’s preservatives, additives, colours, flavours and all those numbers! It is easy to fill a lunch box with a handful of prepackaged snacks and a sandwich with spread. But easy for who? Not easy for your child’s body and brain, not easy for their teacher, not easy for the environment and not easy for your finances!
I am not a health freak, my kids have eaten McDonald’s on way too many occasions, have had everything that comes in a chocolate variety and eaten more than their fair share of sweets. But I draw the line at sending a lunch box full of prepackaged food to school.
So with that in mind this year I am going to try something new when thinking about school lunches.
- Where possible I am going to make Bento style lunch boxes (minus the creativity!)
- I will plan to have a variety of grains, protein, calcium and fruit and veggies in every lunchbox
- Once a week a sweet treat
- Once a week a juice or milk drink
- I will not use glad wrap!
- I will buy in bulk and separate in to my own smaller containers instead of buying little packets of things.
- I will be organised!
In the right hand column I am going to write the date and any other information such as special day at school, events, anything to take into consideration. The rest of the form is then divided into 4 columns for each type of food group. This way I am sure that I don’t leave anything out! This year will be the first time I have 5 days of child lunches to plan and 2 days of adult lunches! It is great being able to see all the lunches for the week!
What do you think?
Have you planned lunch boxes before? Would you like a downloadable blank plan to fill out?
Share the love, leave me a comment!
Linking up with